This is a bizarre US story. It concerns the City of Burlington’s animal shelter. A woman burgled 16 cats from the shelter. Burglary is breaking into a place and stealing something. She has been caught and charged with a felony – breaking and entering. A felony is a serious crime. The value of the cats was assessed at $800.
- Why didn’t she simply adopt a cat or two in the usual way?
- Why did she want to become an instant cat hoarder (almost)?
- Is she of sound mind? It seems not and if so shouldn’t she be treated rather than charged with a felony?
- She is of a sound mind but as Caroline says in a comment she was rescuing cats from a cat rescue center! Mad world.
- Are the police of sound mind?
- How do they value shelter cats at $50 each when we are informed that the shelter manager says that “No stray cats are ever put up for adoption. They are held 3 days waiting for owner claim, then they are destroyed”?
- The cats were abandoned. They are no one’s possession. How do you value them in a capitalist world?
- Is the shelter manager of sound mind? If this is what she said, this is not a shelter but an incinerator.
- Why are moggie cats that are alive and loved valued at $50, when they are worth infinitely more to the person who loves them?
- Why do people give up their cats to this shelter knowing they will be destroyed in three days? Answer: to kill them for free.
- Why didn’t the woman who burgled the shelter advertise that she wanted some cats and the people who wanted to relinquish their cats respond to the advert and bypass the shelter?
It is an upside down world.