It is really time, in fact beyond time, when something should be done about bloody car antifreeze. It does not have to be poisonous to cats. It is easy to make it non toxic antifreeze (to cats and dogs). So why the hell isn’t it happening?
You can see that I am mad. This is because there appears to be an increase in antifreeze cat poisonings in the UK by nasty idiots with nothing better to do.
The latest report comes from the St. Helens Star. They say that at least 7 cat antifreeze poisonings have occurred in the past few months but that the figure could and probably is higher because few cats are subjected to postmortems.
I have written an article about this previously: Making Antifreeze Unpalatable to Cats
It seems that all that is required is to add a chemical. What is the problem? Is the failure to act sloppiness or an”I don’t care attitude”.
One manufacturer in the UK is Bluecol. They proudly declare that they are the “The Brand You Can Trust”. No, you can’t be trusted to do the right thing as your antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, sorry.
If one of the employees of this “trusted” company visits this page, please justify why you can’t take the simple step of adding a chemical to make non toxic antifreeze. There are no doubt different ways of achieving this. One is to add a chemical that makes the antifreeze unpalatable to cats. That in effect makes it non toxic antifreeze to cats and that is where my interest lies today. Ethylene glycol in car antifreeze is attractive to cats but deadly, causing kidney failure.
Propylene glycol, on the other hand, is considerably less toxic and may be labeled as “non-toxic antifreeze.” Why isn’t this used for car antifreeze?
Come on, please do the right thing.