A1 Savannahs Breeding Queen with her Kittens

This is a straightforward short video which may interest some visitors. As described it shows a female breeding cat with an interesting tabby coat which appears to be more ticked tabby than the classic spotted tabby pattern which is the pattern of the Savannah cat, with her offspring in one of the areas of the large complex that makes up the breeding cattery area of A1 Savannahs.

I was surprised to see her in a cardboard box on a concrete floor but that is probably par for the course. There are many heavy ventilation fans at A1 Savannahs in the covered buildings to keep the cats cooler in the blisteringly hot summer weather.

There was a bottle of water attached to the fencing that formed the caged area. One of the employees had let the water bottle run dry which could be very serious in hot weather. The problem was quickly corrected.

The mother cat – the queen – is large but I don’t know what she is – probably a f2 Savannah cat. She must have mated with a serval or another high filial Savannah cat. I suspect it was another Savannah cat.

The video has some interest as it shows in a very real way what it is like at a well run breeding cattery in the USA.

The video is not current. It was filmed about 4-5 years ago. A1 Savannahs has changed hands since then. It is a bit archived video but I thought might interest some people as an historic record.

49 thoughts on “A1 Savannahs Breeding Queen with her Kittens”

1. What a disgusting horrible stark place for a mother cat and her babies, how can anyone think that is acceptable! The kittens little heads are up hearing the barking dogs, those precious little lives already affected by noise to disturb their quality time with their mother before they are sold to God knows who, who will have power over their lives.
    An empty water bottle, a lax employee means lax employers, no water to drink can be fatal to a cat!
    I hated breeders to begin with and I hate them even more now I’ve seen this!
    The Stuckis sold out to a hunter, so they should regret it Cal, they deserve no luck with the money they made from their betrayal of the cats they had in their power!

• We do not know, Ruth, how long that water bottle had been empty, and further more, we do not know if water bowls were set up in that huge space. Michael did not tell us.

I would rather denigrate the new owner(s)/hunters, rather than taking up space here on PoC, denigrating Kathrin Stucki.

• Cal the Stuckis betrayed those cats when they sold to a hunter! You can’t say hunters have any respect for animal life because they do not. The water bottle should not have been empty, the mother cat and kittens should not have been in that comfortless place where dogs can be heard barking.
        I only ‘take up space’ here on PoC when I have something to say about the welfare of cats.
        People almost ALWAYS let money be their God.
        It’s like Anita Roddick of the Body Shop, she protested against the use of animals in experiments, the Body Shop stuff was cruelty free but then she sold out to L’Oreal, one of the cruellest firms testing their products on animals.
        Anyone who puts money first does not truly care about animals, only about themselves.
        I will ALWAYS speak out passionately against any one who puts money before animal welfare and if anyone doesn’t like that then it’s their problem, not mine, I’m past caring what they think!

2. What a disgusting horrible stark place for a mother cat and her babies, how can anyone think that is acceptable! The kittens little heads are up hearing the barking dogs, those precious little lives already affected by noise to disturb their quality time with their mother before they are sold to God knows who, who will have power over their lives.
    I hated breeders to begin with and I hate them even more now I’ve seen this!

• Your comment is what I’d expect from you as a passionate animal advocate and I published this because it is stark and it does show what it is like. I held it back for years. A1 Savannahs was (still is?) a top breeder with excellent facilities so you can imagine what some others are like. I am not saying all are bad but there are some bad ones with tiny cages etc. I have another video which will make you write something similar 😉

• Yes keep on exposing the truth Michael and maybe some day those who think it’s acceptable for cats to be bred to be used and/or live in poor conditions will realise how wrong it is.
        It’s heart breaking to true cat lovers isn’t it!

• I hate upset people who love purebred cats and breeding etc. but I believe their is no place in the world right now for cat breeding. Perhaps if every cat had a nice home it could be justified but we are far from that ideal.

• I don’t hate upsetting them lol they need to hear the truth, that because of them breeding and selling cats, it is costing cats already born to lose their lives because of the lack of homes for them.
            I agree that if every unwanted cat had a good home then it would be justifiable to breed pedigrees but until that day comes (which sadly it never will) they should go and see some of the poor cats doomed to die and look to their conscience and ask themselves why they are helping this to happen.

• Ruth, it is so good to hear your voice.
      I refuse to believe that Kathrin did not give her all to her cats. She saw a flaw in the insipid CFA and TICA. She saw a flaw in her own motivation to breed the cats. I do not fault her for her insight, even if it came of her own experience.

By the way, Oreo, who I mentioned above, HAS his claws, thank goodness, he simply refused to use them.

• The first thing that struck me, Ruth, was that goddamned empty water bottle. But then, who are you and I to judge how long it had been empty, along with the water bowls which were set up in that big space… I don’t know about you, but I have learned to not be too quick to judge until I am certain of what I am seeing.

• I agree we should be slow to judge. We are all sinners. I remember that water bottle problem. Martin Stucki pointed it out to me. He was upset to see it and told me (or hinted to me) that it was hard to rely on staff. The bottle was empty and it was hot but I don’t think the problem existed for long enough to cause health issues.

I do remember on one occasion being told that one of kittens being socialised in the home had been stepped on by a visitor (a builder I believe). The kitten was killed. When I was there there were about four kittens in the living room area being socialised. It would be easy to walk on them.

• How awful, a kitten stepped on and killed, that makes me very sad, they should have had a HUGE notice up ‘THINK KITTEN!’ ‘Think cat’ is the only rule in our house for us and for any visitors too.

3. The icon upon which my stupid comments are formed, is my Shrimp.
    I rescued a little grey mouse this evening. Oreo had it caught btwn his front paws, no claws. And he dropped it in front of me. I bent down, hoping to scoop the little adolescent prey in my outstreched hand, and she ran straight up my leg, until she reached my upper leg. My left thigh This is where it gets really comical.

• I had my “new” used jeans off before I ran in to the kitchen. And then I carefully carried them down to the basement and out to the garage, where I ran my hand through the legs, till the mouse scurried into my hand. A cute little girl, half-grown, and so sweet. I put her in a box that she couldn’t jump from, and ran upstairs to get some oats and water. put the cat inside, and when I returned to the garage, the little brown mouse was “waiting” for me on the couch, little stinker! 😉

4. Let me just say this. Dee, I worship the ground upon which my Shrimptaro treads. He is my heart and soul just right up there with my daughter, who it just so happened named him. And if you would like to denigrate Kathrin and Martin, for turning over A1 Savannahs to some game-jungry hunter, then so be it. She is regretting it to this day..

5. Well, most likely she is used to the barking, which maybe doesn’t occur constantly.
    She reminds me of an Abyssinian/Savannah, maybe F3? What do you think, Michael? Thanks for uploading this vid!

• There is quite a lot of barking. There was a family dog wandering around. I am interested in this cat (the queen). She may have been a random bred ticked tabby (large cat) but the male was perhaps an F1 or F2 Savannah. That wouldn’t produce purebred Savannahs but A1 Savannahs were not affiliated to a cat association.

Either that or she is a Savannah cat without the classic spotted tabby coat but was a good breeder. She was large so could have been an F3 or 2 as you say. She does look like an Abyssinian. The kittens are very nice looking Savannahs with fantastic patterns on their foreheads. You can see two of them with awesome head markings.

6. Sorry, but I find it disgusting that a mama cat is caring for her babies inside a cardboard box with barking dogs around.
    I find it disgusting that she is being bred at all.
    I hate every part of it.