Yep..mapping the animal rescue centres in the UK (see more below map plus link to Irish Republic map). Cursor disappears? Click anywhere on the map. Nope…it’s gone. It makes me sad.
Animal rescue UK — Some notes about this map.
- Please click on yellow markers for details of the rescue center – move + zoom the map to suit.
- Controls using keys: Place cursor over map and tap trackpad or left click mouse…To zoom in use the “+” key. Zoom out use the minus key. To move the map use the arrow keys. Hold the key down to move the map fast.
- There are 311 rescue centers also called animal sanctuaries, marked on this map. I believe that this represents about 90% of all animal rescue centers/facilities in the UK. The purpose is to provide a one-stop web page where people can find out how far or near the nearest animal rescue UK center is from them. I hope this proves useful.
- The map actually covers Northern Ireland as well and the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. However, Google struggled to map the very few sanctuaries at these places. Update: I have now mapped the major animal rescue sanctuaries in the Republic of Ireland.
- Cat Protection is a large rescue organisation that, almost exclusively, uses foster homes in their extensive operation. The foster homes of individual volunters cannot be mapped for obvious reasons and there is no point in mapping them in an case. You might like to visit their website. Update: I have mapped the areas of operation of several branches in the south west region of England. If you slide the map around (click on map and drag mouse) you will see more. Click on the lines, placemarkers and shaded areas to see what they represent. I am working on doing something more comprehensive but the mapping tools that I have at my disposal don’t allow this currently.
View Cats Protection Areas of Operation in a larger map
- The Blue Cross is another large animal rescue operation that has shelters and which uses foster homes. Accordingly their entire operation is not mapped.
- The RSPCA is the biggest in the animal rescue field and they have by far the most animal rescue homes or sanctuaries. All of these have been mapped bar one or two. RSPCA sanctuaries should probably be the first places to investigate if you are looking to adopt an animal that needs a home.
- Some independent rescue centres have not been mapped because Google could not find them. If you are one of these independent rescue organisations and would like to be on the map, please click the link below.
- If there are errors, and there will be some despite my best efforts to achieve accuracy, please also click on the relevant link below and tell me if you have the time.
Please search using the search box at the top of the site. You are bound to find what you are looking for.