Artificial respiration: blow gently into the cat’s nostrils. In brief:
- Lay cat on flat surface with right side down.
- Open cat’s mouth. Clear secretions with cloth. Check for foreign body and remove if present. If object is stuck use Heimlich Maneuver.
- Pull cat’s tongue forward and close mouth. Place your mouth over cat’s nose. Blow gently. Cat’s chest will expand – if not blow more forefully and/or seal the lips with hand to stop your breath escaping through cat’s lips.
- Release to let the air come out of lungs.
- Deliver breaths at one every 4-5 seconds or 12-15 per minute.
- Continue until cat breathes unaided or as long as the cat’s heart continues to beat.