Edible glitter is the stuff you sprinkle on cakes. I’m not a cook so I had to look that up! It makes a nice photograph and I think the likeness to a galaxy is quite a good one. I wonder, though, whether edible glitter is genuinely okay for a cat to ingest? As soon as I asked that question, I looked up the answer. Guess what I found? The RSPB say that cake sprinkles or edible glitter should be avoided as they tend to contain e-numbers. It is also referred to as “reindeer dust”. As Christmas is coming up the idea of eating glitter is pertinent.
It’s important to check the label to make sure that the glitter is genuinely edible. Most labels state that they are. If the label says that the glitter is non-toxic or for decorative purposes only then it should not be used as an edible product on cakes and so on. It seems that you can buy non-edible glitter and edible glitter which could cause a confusion or a person might make a mistake when buying products quickly in a supermarket.
The ingredients of edible glitter include: sugar, gum arabic, maltodextrin, cornstarch and colour additives including mica-based pearlescent pigments and FD&C colours.
I’m not getting any great information of the Internet about whether edible glitter is safe for domestic cats. It probably is, but foods that are safe for people are not necessarily safe for domestic cats as I am sure that you know. The same applies to dogs. And I don’t think you can make an assumption that edible glitter is safe for your cat companion when sprinkled over her body or, as the caption to the photograph states, she rolls in it to look like a galaxy. That said, I think it is safe, but satisfy yourself with your own research please. If you know more, please tell me in a comment.
SOME MORE ON HAZARDS (I AM NOT IMPLYING THAT EDIBLE GLITTER IS A HAZARD FOR CATS BUT PLEASE CHECK):
Did you find this article useful and interesting? Can it be improved? Please tell me in a comment. I am always keen to improve the site for animal welfare and reader enjoyment.