It’s okay for Christians to hate cats so says a Christian writer on christiantoday.com. On another Christian website, the site owner says that if you don’t like cats you have a problem with the Lord. This is because the Lord made everything and everything he made is good.
“Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made…(John 1)
“For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving…”(1 Timothy 4)
I’d say that God would want us to respect all creatures. You can’t respect cats if you hate them. Yet…
The ten reasons why it is okay for Christians to hate cats are listed (and there is a tongue in cheek element to this list) – Note: I have included nine of them:
- There are no cats in the bible and therefore cats “are of the devil”. I think you’ll find lions are mentioned in the bible so the statement is wrong. Also just because domestic cats are not mentioned in the bible it does not mean they are “of the devil”.
- Cats drive you insane because you can get toxoplasmosis from them. This is an old chestnut. It is tiresome. I have addressed this one before.
- Cats shed hair and it gets everywhere. This is a reason to hate cats? So says a Christian. Dogs shed hair don’t they? If you dislike a cat’s hair to the point where it causes you to hate cats, I’d suggest that there is something wrong with you.
- Cats are less loveable than dogs. Are they? I don’t think you’ll get agreement to that from the millions of cat owners. Domestic cats narrowly outnumber dogs in the USA as I recall. I think this makes cats as loveable as dogs. It is just a matter of personal preference as to how you like to be loved and what sort of relationship you like with a companion animal.
- Cats target people who don’t like them. This is another myth. Forget it. It’s mumbo jumbo. As is the case for humans, cats won’t know if a person does not like them until the person demonstrates that dislike at which point the cat will disappear.
- There are too many cat lovers who can’t accept people who don’t like cats. I disagree. Most cat lovers are balanced, intelligent people with open minds. They are prepared to accept the views and opinions of others even if they are at odds with theirs.
- Cats poo in litter boxes in the living room in front of people. Litter boxes are almost never in the living room! And cats like privacy when using the litter box so they don’t normally use it in front of people.
- People can be allergic to cats. Yes, about 10% are as I recall. I have no comment on this except to say it is not a reason to hate cats. It is just the way it is. It could be argued that the reason why some people are allergic to cats is because they are sensitive to the allergen. It could be said that this is a human problem not a cat problem!
- When cats are kittens they are invariably cute but then they grow up all the above are reasons to hate cats.