Feline hyperthyroidism is a disease caused by the excessive production of the hormone, thyroid (thyroxin) by the thyroid gland. This gland is in the neck3.
The term “hyper” in medical parlance means: high, beyond, excessive, above normal 2.
The term “ism” means: condition of, practice of, theory of1.
Feline hyperthyroidism is the most common feline hormone disorder.
|Anxiety - reduce it|
|FULL Maine Coon guide - lots of pages|
|Children and cats - important|
The thyroid gland enlarges causing a swelling in the neck.
- Pace up and down
- Excessive hunger
- Excessive food consumption
- Weight loss
- Increased volume of faeces
- Hair loss and hair pulls out easily
The heart works harder. It can lead to a “form of cardiomyopathy”, which in turn leads to congestive heart failure.
Other illnesses associated with old cats can mask hyperthyroidism in cats.
Please see a good vet. Blood test are required.
Objective: return thyroid production to normal. Methods:
- Removal of the thyroid gland
- Administering radioactive iodine at a specialist clinic
The opposite is feline Hypothyroidism.
1. 2. medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com
3. Cat Owner’s Home Veterinary Handbook page 385 – 386, by Drs Carlson and Giffin.
Simply click here to return to Cat Health Problems Submissions.
[…] blood pressure (hypertension) in cats is associated with hyperthyroidism. There are many other possible causes including kidney disease. However, your cat does to appear to […]