A cat died after becoming trapped in the mechanism of a reclining chair. Apparently, the cat’s owner was adjusting the chair while watching television. Kent Fire and Rescue were called out to Vincent Gardens, Sheerness, and around 6:30 pm on Sunday. The cat’s owner found her beloved cat trapped in the chair’s mechanism.
She had sat down on the chair not knowing that her cat was beneath it. She was adjusting the mechanism so that it became more upright which strangled her cat.
The lady was unable to readjust the chair to release her cat and so she called the fire service. They freed the cat but it was too late. Kent Fire and Rescue said:
“This isn’t the first…we would like to advise pet owners to check their chairs before moving them.”
I would go further than that. I would suggest that if anybody is a cat caretaker they should not purchase a reclining chair. That is the best preventative solution. If they have to buy a reclining chair because of mobility problems it is essential to always check underneath the chair before they use it. It is genuinely a very serious hazard in the home for domestic cats.
When I visited a very well-known Savannah Cat breeder in America I noticed that they had a reclining chair. It was a very good looking reclining chair in point of fact. The kittens were being socialised in the living room which is commonplace for breeders. This allows the kittens to become adjusted to meeting people and visitors.
One of the kittens was underneath the recliner and I mentioned this to the breeder telling her that I thought the item of furniture was dangerous. She agreed with me but did nothing about it. She told me that a visitor – I think he was a builder – had not long ago crushed one of her Savannah cats inadvertently with his boot. That’s one life dramatically wasted. On a commercial basis that was about $4000 wasted as well.