Fireworks are poisonous to cats if ingested
It had never occurred to me but if a cat or dog ingests a used firework thats lying around after having been set off (there are many) then it could poison them. It doesn’t surprise me to be told by the Pet Poison Helpline that fireworks contain hazardous chemicals such as potassium nitrate.
I’m also told that they contain charcoal or sulphur and colouring agents which are potentially dangerous heavy metals.
The list of symptoms for a cat or dog poisoned by a firework is as follows:
- Acute kidney failure
- Shallow breathing
- Bloody diarrhoea
- Abdominal pain
- Bone marrow changes
It’s the 4th July tomorrow. More fireworks. More blasted noise. Mose distress for cats and dogs and other companion animals. And perhaps some poisonings. We are not provided with information about the numbers. I hate everything about fireworks. I am sure most people like them.
It is ironic that a major supplier of fireworks is called ‘Black Cat’. The company is owned by the Chinese, incidentally. It proves a lack of sensibility towards cat welfare.