With Hurricane Irma pretty much guaranteed to hit the United States within the next few days, people are struggling to get themselves, as well as their pets to safety. States in the path of Irma are getting emergency plans in order.
SC Governor Henry McMaster has ordered mandatory evacuation of BARRIER ISLANDS in Colleton, Beaufort and Jasper counties on Saturday @ 10 a.m. This includes: Edisto, Fripp, Daufuskie, Hilton Head, Harbor, Hunting, Knowles and Tullifini islands.
The latest storm model shows Irma hitting Florida HARD starting Saturday night or Sunday morning. With wind gusts of close to 200 mph, this storm is going to be catastrophic. They’re predicting South Carolina and Northeast Georgia will be hit hardest on Monday and Tuesday with wind between 40-70 mph and possible tornadoes, especially to the east of the storm.
This is a thrown together article to get the information out there ASAP. If anything is left out, please leave your info in the comment section.
Bring Fido is posting that there are NO hotel/motel rooms available any further south than Atlanta/Greenville/Charlotte. One person suggested Orlando or Tallahassee. NO. Folks, this is a CAT 5 storm. It is bigger than the entire state of Florida. There is nowhere safe in the state. Disney World is evacuating employees. They haven’t done that since Andrew. This should tell you something.
- Public Facebook group coordinating pets and animals click here. Many are opening their home or land in the Carolina’s, Georgia and Tennessee. This is an excellent source that is bringing together those who need help with those who are offering their home or land
- Jennifer Gordan posted this about unusual pets saying “I am with Carolina Waterfowl Rescue and we are able to help people with small animals. We have a database of people willing to help shelter animals and humans from the storm. If you need help you can message me Also Casie Yandle is my adoption coordinator and she is going to be helping people find housing so please reach out to her if you have someone looking for a place. We have 150 people signed up on our list willing to house farm animals. You can email email@example.com for a list of referrals or just call Casie directly 704-690-4513″
- Bring Fido list of pet-friendly hotels click here
- Atlanta Motor Speedway will open Thursday and offer free camping for those fleeing Hurricane Irma. Click here for more information
- ALDF blog with useful links click here
- Hurricane Irma pet-friendly shelters click here
- PETS Act for household and service animals click here
- Equine assistance click here
- Horse Helpers click here
- List of evacuation sites for horses click here
- Pet-friendly evacuation sites click here
Hurricane Irma is one of the deadliest on record. Those living in Florida need to get out now. This storm is as large as your state! South Carolina and North Carolina residents are also urged to start taking steps to ensure the safety of their home and family. North and South Carolina governors have already issued a state of emergency. South Carolina is currently holding off on the decision to reverse the incoming lanes on the interstate, should it be a concern Irma will hit the coast.
If you do flee, remember to take any medication you and your pets are on with you. Be sure you have pet carriers as these will also fly off the shelves in a hurry. If you don’t already have one, you may have a difficult time finding one if you live in the path of the hurricane.
It would also be a good idea to have your pet microchipped and to make sure any who are already chipped have the correct information in the chipping company database. It’s quite common for an old and useless phone number to be listed as the contact.
Please list any additional links or updates in the comment section. This article may be updated as the storm comes closer so be sure to bookmark this link and share this article on social media.