I’ll be the first to admit I’m super paranoid when it comes to fire and my cats. I consider my paranoia a genetic trait, as my mother was so afraid of fire she had a working smoke detector in every room and changed the batteries out twice a year.
This is an article I hope we can all learn from and help each other. The idea came from my friend Denise Lane Painter who posted on her Facebook wall
“Another friend posted that they averted a fire at their rescue last night, a punctured heavy duty extension cord that had been peed on by a helpful cat. When she found the problem, it was actually smoking. She had just returned home from errands when she found it. A few more minutes and things might have been quite different.
That’s three rescuers in three days that I’ve seen or know that have either had a fire at their rescue or found one before it started and kept it from happening.”
More holidays are celebrated these days and are celebrated for a longer period of time. Halloween moves straight into Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) then into Christmas. Families leave their pets at home and want them to be as protected as possible. Everyone I’ve spoken with is terrified of some disaster taking their pets while their pets are home alone.
Personally, my paranoid routine before leaving our cats (which is very seldom both my daughter and myself are gone) is to unplug appliances (including the scented wax burner) and to be sure the trash is tied up well (dogs and cats have suffocated by getting into everything from empty potato chip bags to feeding bins).
Another precaution my mother taught me at a young age was to turn the knives facing downward in the dish drainer by the kitchen sink. Cats can and do make acrobatic leaps over dishes and silverware left in the dish drainer to dry.
Have you ever had a near miss or lost your home in a fire? Please feel free to leave your story in the comment section. You might just save a life.