HomeCat NewspolicePolice officer dies after being bitten by a feral cat

Comments

Police officer dies after being bitten by a feral cat — 18 Comments

  1. http://www.newschannel10.com/story/36101264/wtamu-police-officer-dies-from-medicine-reaction-after-feral-cat-bite

    This story says he was feeling unwell two weeks after being bitten by a feral cat.
    I’m quite curious. Since he was bitten on duty there should be an incident report. And an animal bite would likely mandate he go to at least an urgent care or ER. Because doctors know the risk of cat bite and infections he would have likely and rightly so been given oral antibiotics and perhaps a shot.

  2. I have been bitten more times than i can count by domestic and feral cats. I was always careful to say it was a scratch, as I am allergic to many antibiotics. And I have noticed that many ER nurses and doctors both are then more anxious to give me some kind of antibiotic shot and don’t pay much attention to me when I try to tell them what I am allergic to. They are more interested in wanting the poor cat to be quarantined. I scrub the wound(s) and apply a natural ointment. And I have NEVER had a reaction from a cat bite.

    • Last time that I had an infected cat bite (almost to the bone) I used the old method of poulticing it to draw out the pus. My immune system did the rest. The problem is that many people are not willing to put up with the discomfort involved in they body healing itself. In the last 20 years I’ve only needed antibiotics on one occasion (and I genuinely needed something to help my body). The immune system is like a muscle – it needs to be used.

      (The above, naturally, does not apply to persons who have compromised immune systems.)

        • My husband nearly lost his hand and possibly part of his arm to a cat that belonged to in-laws. We knew within 24 hours this was not something to try and home treat.
          local redness and infection can usually be treated at home. Anyone who has cats has at least once had a wound that looks like you’ve been in tiger pit. or a puffy nibble.
          My husband had blood work to determine the need of antibiotics. It will be interesting to see what the actual circumstances of the bite and either immediate treatment was sought or he delayed going until there was an infection in his system.

  3. Ofcourse it was a reaction to the medication(s) he received and not anything to do with the injury by the cat.

    If I were to guess, I would say that they infused Rocephin because of its strong antibacterial properties. I’m not a fan of IV antibiotics without using extreme caution. They go directly into the blood stream and can’t be taken back, making reactions swift and often deadly.

    Such a heading as above misleads the public into confirming that ferals are a danger.

  4. I believe he was given Augmentin and developed Simon Johnson Syndrome. It would
    Be nice to have a definite answer. the cat bite did not kill him.

  5. I could write a primer on what I learned about antibiotics after Kitten was overdosed and ended up dying of liver failure. Antibiotics are not safe benign drugs and even the most common ones can have serious reactions. Short and long term.

    • I’m so sorry about what happened to Kitten. You are so right, antibiotics are potentially dangerous treatments, but still necessary. They became gorssly overdosed in humans in the 80s and 90s, before doctors started refusing patient demands to have antibiotics for everything. The veterinary field has yet to catch up in some places.

      • Actually I believe my vet is one of the only ones that was still injecting enrofloxacin INTO a cat.
        That aside the incident took me on a long journey to understand what happened. Most of my research took me to human equivalents of that antibiotic and the information is shocking. But surely I thought the old standbys are safe. Not so. Necessary and more than worth the risk but the side effects can be real. It’s much easier to track these adverse effects in human medicine where reporting is not so haphazard. What happened here is a tragedy and the cause of his death is a by cat bite. The treatment was a result of the bite.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


HTML tags allowed in your comment: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>