Reports That Tidy Cats Lightweight Litter May Be Dangerous
I am not going to spell everything out on this page because I have just written a rather breezy report on this product on my blogger site, which is a subdomain of this website. The information that I have comes from Facebook and I was prompted to go there by Cindy Shepard who visits this website and who made a comment about this product.
I feel it is important to flag up the potential dangers to domestic cats from products, as and when required. At the moment the reports from users can only be described as anecdotal evidence, and as I understand it, the manufacturers are seeking to interview a couple of ladies who say that their cats died as a result of using this product.
The criticism centres around dust kicked up when it is used which is then inhaled by the cat. In addition some of the dust ends up being attached to the cat’s fur due to a static charge on the cat’s coat. The particles are then ingested by the cat during self-grooming.
If you click on the following link you can read what a number of users think about this product. They are all negative remarks so we need to remind ourselves that there are websites where this product has been praised. In order to be fair and to present a balanced view point this needs to be stated.
Go to a webpage on Tidy Cats Lightweight Litter reports of health problems in cats who have used it — link opens a new window/tab in your web browser.
I’ve used it for several years. Cats are fine, no problems. I love it.
Thanks Marlene. How do you know for sure that they are fine? It is odds on that they have inhaled dust.
I have 5 cats. One started looking really skinny not long after starting this litter. He was already on the thin side, and then I realized I haven’t had weight issues with ANY of them since using it– this is a sign of a toxic substance, and I’m willing to bet you all it’s metals toxicity. Has anyone had this stuff tested?
Thanks for contributing. This is a dangerous litter. Never use it. That’s my opinion.
My cat started an allergy around her eyes due to this litter. We had several vet visits, medications, food trial and errors and we narrowed it down to Tidy Cats unscented lightweight litter.She was losing fur around her eyes and her eyes were crusty and tearing, and the skin looked red underneath. She is an indoor cat, not exposed to anything.I switched back to Fresh Step unscented and shes fine.
Thanks Phyllis for your input on this. Very useful.
I bought this litter thinking it will be great, I could carry it from my car down 3 flights of stairs to my apartment. It was great until I found out I was extremely allergic to it. I had welts about 2″ long from head to toe and they itched like hell. My face swelled up, my lips swelled up it was awful. It took me about a week to realize it was the litter giving me the reaction and not my lotions, or laundry detergent. Once I figured it out I had to do a deep house cleaning, including washing my cat (which of course was a fight in and of itself), wash loads of laundry several times. Once I got all that done and got the litter out of my apartment everything was fine. Just want to warn others, if you have sensitive skin or whatever DONT get this litter!
Thanks Mia. Your info is useful. There is another page on this with a lot of comments:
I have had three major allergy attacks in the past six months, and now even the cat is sneezing.
The only thing I could think of to trigger these attacks has been my “change” to this lightweight litter.
Whether it’s dust or whatever, I am convinced that at least my reaction is due to the use — I’m not sure if the cat is sneezing due to a cold or allergies.
Thank you for making a page about this — I thought I was going crazy.
Suzette, your symptoms and those of your cat indicate they are caused by this litter. I’d stop using it immediately. I have another page on this litter which has many comments. It is quite enlightening. Good luck.
This must be the same cat litter I passed on a warning about on here:
The same, R and I thanked you for it.
If I hadn’t seen your comment, I may have considered buying it again in a few weeks.
Yes we need to spread the word far and wide about things like this x
I’m so relieved that I didn’t buy this.
I considered it about 2 weeks ago, but it was a little too pricey for me at the time.
It makes sense that something very light like this is more easily airborne and likely to be inhaled.