This discussion article will offer suggestions on how to stop your pet from being electrocuted by a power cord.
Kittens are playful and puppies like to chew on anything of interest. This includes things that could potentially cause serious or fatal injuries. Power cords are a major problem, so I reached out to friends on Facebook to find out how they stop their pets from chewing on power cords.
- Jeff: I use Mitchum gel deodorant. I rub it on all cords. Even the cat that LIKES hot sauce will leave cords alone now
- Reesa: I have two who will chew through the split loom tubing and make confetti of the pool noodles. I tried wrapping in various materials, including aluminum foil, cardboard tubes, split pvc with cords held in place with electric tape (learned that one cat loves electric tape). Tried cat deterrents wiped onto the cords. But for some reason, zip-ties every few cm keeps them away. For now. When that proves no longer true I’m going to hardware cloth. I’d like to find the metal stuff that looks like a coiled spring that comes on some electric things. The outdoor heated water bowl has one.
- Jan: In case someone does not know what can happen, Mufasa, a 16-week-old kitten (see main article photo). It totally degloved his skin and fur from his jaw. Teething kittens are really at risk.
- Patsy: Run cords along base of walls and use nails to secure like fencing nails
Above is one example of the cord covers that can be purchased for only a few dollars. Investing in these may one day save your pet from a painful injury or even death.
I’ll monitor this post on my personal Facebook wall and add more to the suggestions. Please feel free to comment below what you do to protect your cats from electrocution or to add any experiences you’ve had to deal with involving your pets and power cord dangers.
For those wishing to know how Mufuso turned out, he healed completely and his new name after adoption is Levi. It’s unfortunate his owners surrendered him to a shelter following his accident.
If you suspect your pet has bitten into an active power cord you should seek immediate veterinary help. This is a life or death emergency and you shouldn’t trust social media as to how to treat.
Follow Elisa on Facebook.