Ten-year-old girl electrocuted and killed getting kittens behind dryer

A ten-year-old East Texas girl, Greenlee Marie, was electrocuted causing her death while apparently trying to retrieve her kittens, who she loved dearly, from behind a dryer in the home, Fox Carolina reports.

It is not known how the tragedy happened. I probably shouldn’t speculate but if she was electrocuted it would be an unfortunate accident or the cable was worn or something like that. Perhaps the wiring was loose and she touched it as she pushed her hands under the device to try and grab her kittens. Pure speculation. Or there may have been poor wiring causing the device or an object to become ‘live’. The home is rented and her parents are saying the landlord is responsible for her death. If they are correct it hints at poor maintenance. It’s one of those tragic and avoidable events.

Her mother said:

“She loved her babies. And she would do anything for them,” Shelby Roos said of her daughter and her kittens. I know she is up there right now with all of her babies.”

A fund is planed in her name to which people can donate in aid of a local rescue for orphaned animals.

In the pictures the local authority employees are searching for the reason why she was electrocuted. This is so sad. Her life was ahead of her and she loved animals by the look of it.

Associated pages (this is a selection. Please search for more):

The Cats of 9/11

Today I’d like to talk about the cats of 9/11. On the eve of the 10th anniversary of the worst day in American history during my lifetime, I’d like to remember the cats who were at Ground Zero during the … please continue reading

Facebook Discussion

Comments

Ten-year-old girl electrocuted and killed getting kittens behind dryer — 3 Comments

  1. Dryers in the US have a special 220 plug. Mine has a dedicated circuit. It’s unclear where the electrocution came from the dryer or the wiring. There is a possibility that in trying to get the kittens she pulled it out of the socket partially if it’s not hard wired.
    This is a good warning that all small spaces need to be blocked off or doors shut and that children should not be allowed to climb on or behind appliances.
    Sadly this could have been prevented even with faulty wiring if the adults had flipped the circuit breaker for the dryer. Which is a good lesson for all adults. Don’t mess around behind or in electrical appliances if they are live.

  2. So very sad. Such a sweet young girl. Sheer speculation here too – if her hands were wet (spilled water from the bowl while chasing kittens) and she inadvertently touched a live wire, that would do it.

    I cannot help but wonder why the kittens were near a dryer in the first place, but am not finding fault at all with the little girl or her grieving parents. If the landlord was negligent with the home in any way (bad wiring, loose wiring, loose or missing electrical plate on the wall, he’s going to be in a world of hurt once the authorities are finished investigating.

    R.I.P. sweet girl. Condolences to the family.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Please try and upload photos that are small in size of max 500px width and 50 KB size. Large images typical of most default settings on digital cameras may fail to upload. Thanks. Comment rules: (1) respect others (2) threatening, harassing, bullying, insulting and being rude to others is forbidden (3) advocating cat cruelty is forbidden (4) trolls (I know who they are) must use real name and upload a photo of themselves. Enforcement: (1) inappropriate comments are deleted before publication and (2) commenters who demonstrate a desire to flout the rules are banned. Failure to comply with (4) results in non-publication.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.