Vet clinic accidentally kills cat with dog drug
avatar

“What I think now is his death sentence was sealed the moment she injected him.”

cat killed by vet clinic on giving wrong drug

On the left is Bosco, about 12-years-of-age and on the right is pensioner Lillian Carr, Bosco’s former owner. Bosco is now dead and cremated because unfortunately a veterinary nurse administered a dog drug (we don’t know the name) to Bosco that poisoned him.

Bosco was in for teeth cleaning and to check out a possible cancerous growth on his lip. As is normal, Carr was nervous about things but she’d been with the same vet for 40 years.

The mistake was discovered after Bosco had returned home. Carr received a telephone call by a nurse at the clinic who said:

‘We’ve got to come and get Bosco, he’s been given the wrong medicine’,

Carr thought Bosco would pull through but he went downhill over a period of a week. She was told that he was dying. She had no hope of a recovery and agreed euthanasia.

The clinic staff behaved nicely after the accident. Of course, there was a refund for all costs and a full apology which was unopened by Lillian Carr.

These things happen. Apparently, there were two syringes in the room and the nurse picked up the wrong one. That does seem careless.

The location is New Zealand.


Source: Cat dies after being injected with dog drug…

FB comments (see below)
This entry was posted in negligence and tagged , , , by Michael Broad. Bookmark the permalink.

About Michael Broad

Michael is retired! He retired at age 57 and at Aug 2018 is approaching 70. He worked in many jobs. The last job he did was as a solicitor practicing general law. He loves animals and is passionate about animal welfare. He also loves photography and nature. He hates animal abuse. He has owned and managed this site since 2007. There are around 13k pages so please use the custom search facility!

Comments

Vet clinic accidentally kills cat with dog drug — 3 Comments

  1. Most important was the fact that the clinic admitted its mistake which is definitely rare as a lawsuit could be raised against it by the cats owner Lillian Carr.It was destiny and carelessness that resulted in the death of the cat “Bosco” and my deep sympathies for the owner.Its not easy getting over the loss of a pet companion especially when its due to veterinary negligence, something that could have been avoided.

  2. Two syringes near each other? Doesn’t seem very professional, since syringes aren’t labeled.

    Although we do know of hospital cases where the wrong arm or leg has been treated or amputated.

    Nowadays they check once, twice, and even 3 times to make sure.

  3. I’m very sorry for Lillian. It’s always heartbreaking when a much loved pet dies, but when it’s in circumstances like this, the emotional pain must be unbearable.

    At least the clinic were decent enough to admit their mistake and appear to have done all they could to save Bosco. If their apology is genuine and heartfelt, then I have some sympathy for the vet nurse who administered the injection. I’m sure killing someone’s pet by accident is something they deeply regret and feel guilty about.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Please try and upload photos that are small in size of max 500px width and 50 KB size. Large images typical of most default settings on digital cameras may fail to upload. Thanks. Comment rules: (1) respect others (2) threatening, harassing, bullying, insulting and being rude to others is forbidden (3) advocating cat cruelty is forbidden (4) trolls (I know who they are) must use real name and upload a photo of themselves. Enforcement: (1) inappropriate comments are deleted before publication and (2) commenters who demonstrate a desire to flout the rules are banned. Failure to comply with (4) results in non-publication. Lastly, please avoid adding links because spam software regards comments with links as spam and holds them in the spam folder. I delete the spam folder contents daily.