WARNING: disposable plastic gloves are a potential hazard to domestic cats

This story from Philadelphia about a cat called Foxxy is a lesson to all cat guardians to make sure that disposable plastic gloves, which are used much more at present due to the coronavirus pandemic, need to be disposed of quickly after use because they appear to pose a hazard to some domestic cats. They can be powdered with corn starch to lubricate them. It may have made the glove attractive to Foxxy as a food if he was hungry enough. Dr Debra Primovic DVM says that some cats have ‘an affinity’ for corn starch i.e. they are attracted to it. I am speculating.

Disposable gloves a potential hazard to domestic cats
Disposable gloves a potential hazard to domestic cats. Image: PoC.
Two useful tags. Click either to see the articles: Toxic to cats | Dangers to cats

We want to take this somber moment to remind everyone out there, please dispose of your gloves, facemasks etc properly. Pets like Foxxy or wildlife may swallow them thinking that they are toys or food, and the very items meant to keep us safe, can be fatal to them if eaten…ACCT Philly on Facebook

Foxxy sadly died of eating a disposable plastic glove which remained in his gut for several weeks. It caused him to lose weight and become dehydrated. A veterinarian attached to ACCT Philly located the glove which formed a major obstruction.

Although it is not clear how or why Foxxy ingested the glove it is hard to see it happening other than by eating. I have suggested that it may have been the lubrication. The glove may have been inside out after it was removed from the hand which exposed the corn starch.

The only alternative would be cat cruelty but it is hard to imagine that. Perhaps Foxxy was neglected and the glove had something on it such as a fatty substance, which made it seem digestible. Perhaps Foxxy has Pica.

Or the glove may have been used as a toy or Foxxy treated it as a toy and ended up eating it. Perhaps these plastic gloves contain some chemicals which sterilises them making them interesting to cats. Bleach smells nice to cats for instance. I am guessing wildly but it looks like he ate it and it killed him very slowly. A warning to all during these difficult times.

The use of disposable gloves may become routine and far more prevalent than in the past as it seems likely that the coronavirus is here to stay for the medium term future. We have another cat hazard to watch out for.

Cat swallows sewing needle

Cat swallowed a sewing needle

The video shows the removal of the sewing needle from the back of a cat's mouth by a veterinarian. Hard ...
Nero and Lucy the vet who removed the hair ties. Eleven in all with an endoscope. Image: Westway Veterinary Group.

Hair bobbles (hair ties) are dangerous to cats as too often they like to ingest them

I've decided after a quick search on the Internet to declare to the world that hair bobbles are very dangerous ...
Base of a cat's tongue cut by a small rubber band that she had tried to eat

What a small rubber band can do to a cat’s tongue

The photo comes from the Cuyahoga Falls Veterinary Clinic with their permission. They have a Flickr account where they upload ...
10,000 elastic bands gathered from the street left by posties

Cat defecated an elastic band. The strange story as to why it happened.

Mr Paul Brown's cat defecated an elastic band. Mr Brown found it in his cat's litter tray. His cat had ...
Sir Dexter Purrbody likes to eat cotton thread. Photo Sandra Hamand.

Handsome Maine Coon cat addicted to eating cotton thread

If you have a domestic cat companion and if you like sewing, you should read this story. It's a story ...
Buttons are dangerous to cats

Hanger straps on a blouse or dress can be harmful or fatal to cats

This is Worm, an exotic black beauty who lives with his mom Gina, who is a very good caregiver. Worm ...
Tamarindo in happier days

Cat belonging to deployed U.S. veteran seriously injured after swallowing a fishing hook

This article is my latest in what I call my "freak accident" series. We all know cats can get themselves ...
Cat swallows wishbone

New York Cat is Lucky to be Alive after Swallowing a Wishbone

We've all heard the dangers of giving cats cooked bones. There are so many things that can go wrong, should ...

Please search using the search box at the top of the site. You are bound to find what you are looking for.

Useful tag. Click to see the articles: Cat behavior

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

follow it link and logo

Note: sources for news articles are carefully selected but the news is often not independently verified.

I welcome and value comments. Please share your thoughts. All comments are currently unmoderated.

This blog is seen in 199 of the world's country's according to Google Analytics which is pretty much the entire world.

Scroll to Top